Monday, October 18, 2010

Britney for Candie's



Pop princess Britney Spears is joining the growing club of celebrities-turned-designers, launching her own fashion collection that targets the schoolgirl crowd.




Spears, 28, has designed her first collection of clothing and accessories for the Iconix Brand Group Inc's Candie's brand for which she has been the face for the past three seasons.
The juniors' collection, called "Britney for Candie's," will be sold exclusively in Kohl's Department stories from July 1 to kick off the back-to-school season.
"Designing was a really fun, new way for me to express my creativity and I really wanted to create something by me for my fans," Spears said in a statement.
She said the collection, inspired by her favorite music and movies, as a mixture of day and evening looks, ranging from jeans to little black dresses.
A print and television advertising campaign to promote the line features the tagline: "Designed by me for you!"
Spears earlier this year ended a world tour to support her 2008 album "Circus" which was widely regarded as her comeback after a public meltdown when the singer lost custody of her two children, did stints in rehab and shaved her head.
She rocketed to fame as a teenager 10 years ago with hits like "Baby One More Time" and is still one of the best-known celebrities in the world.
(Writing by Belinda Goldsmith, Editing by Paul Casciato)
credit : http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65T1D920100630


Lookchoup : (am I the first one here? grrr so nervous)
well...actually it's not the latest news but here's what I wanna talk about. First time I saw this collection I was like...ARE U KIDDING ME BRITNEY? it's not really outstanding and beautiful~ (at least in my point of view) It's nice but also so plain. and you know if we compare to the other celebrities co-designers (of course not Lindsay Lohan LOL) I don't think her work is a masterpieces. And when I saw the photoshoot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srGgUh5ks1E&feature=related) I kinda doubt that...what the parents would think about her like...for after all she's been through and did it's not really nice don't you agree? The image of this line is kinda sweet...so barbie! but it's Britney! Britney with the pole. Britney with nth but the lingeries. Britney who was kissing Madonna. BRITNEY! It's weird when I look at her and find out that the image is just not right. All those PINK stuffs can't fool me. 

But don't get me wrong...I love Britney! (she's insane but she's still my favorite)
so what you guys think? Does it really affect the brand with her past running behind? Or it's just a new beginning that everyone will understand and gives her a second chance? For me I'm ready to give her one but how about the parents who are not so sure about "Britney my idol" theory for theirs young teenage kids. Which is obviously her target customers...isn't it? :O (I'm really not good at merchandising LOL)

Thank you you guys! I did my best grrrrr :'(




1 comment:

  1. Hi Lookchoup!
    It seems my previous post didn't go through... Anyway, thanks for being the first one to post, you are brave ;-)

    It's a very interesting topic that you are bringing forward in this blog: ethics. Is it ok to target young and impressionable girls by using a starlet with a doubtful past? I fear many brands are going down this path... Candies is trying to develop attention and momentum around their fashion house by relying on the exposure "Britney" gives them.

    Is this wrong?

    ReplyDelete